Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Eclipse Spectacular Cake

My boyfriend, Ray, recently had his birthday earlier this month. When asked what his preference for a birthday cake all I could get out of him was a jumble of different ideas. He's never been a big fan of chocolate (why is he dating me???), but lucky for me he is a bit of a glutton over a few other things I make. So I took his birthday request literally and starting composing. But how to stick the half-dozen items together that he mentioned? I felt confident that my seven years of art school learning to be a sculptor would come in handy. One doesn't navigate through 70k of student loans without coming out on the other end with a few constructive skill sets.


Surprisingly, it all came other in just an afternoon! I even had a few moments to reflect on the monstrosity before guests arrived for the party. The chimera of cake that resulted seemed a little intimidating, but no one at the event seemed to pause when tearing into it. Before looking at the pic, allow yourself to fully digest the written description... it's a doozy!

Here is is, folks, from the bottom up (complete with hyperlinks for those interested in reading a full description on individual layers):

A base of Double Dark Chocolate Brownie dressed with 61% dark chocolate ganache, topped with...


A layer of Azteca Cinnamon Rolls slathered in cream cheese frosting, topped with...

A layer of bourbon-soaked Chocolate Creme Fraiche Cake, all encapsulated in...


Seriously! This baby was 11" in diameter and 8" tall. It could feed 30 or more if you can find a way to slice it proficiently. And since I'm sure someone out there is going to see this picture and want to roll around in it for their next birthday, I'll beat you to the punch and say this whopper would be about $155 for the lot! Special order, of course:)


2 comments:

Jennywenny said...

WOW!! Happy Birthday Ray! I'm very jealous, that looks just so delicious I'm almost licking my screen

Doug Easterly said...

I had a slice. It was an amazing experience.