Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Crème Fraîche Cupcakes

Crème fraîche... What a glorious concept. This gift from the French is a heavy cream slightly soured with bacterial culture, but not as sour or as thick as our standard American sour cream. Very similar to its creamy cousin, its higher fat content and lower viscosity allow it several advantages like its ability to be directly cooked without curdling. This is how it found its way into my Exotic Salted Caramels.

And those little guys are popular! I can't seem to find time in my production schedule to run my next batch before the prior is sold out. Sounds like a good excuse to take a flavor concept and run with it, no?

Ever since I took a trip to Sprinkles in Newport Beach, I've been lamenting that San Diego seems to be the only major US city that doesn't have a cupcake boutique. Well, if you can't find it, create it! So here are my cupcake contributions to the SD foodie scene.

What chocolatier would be complete without the ultimate in chocolate comfort foods? My Crème Fraîche Cupcakes are made from scratch, stuffed with decadent fillings, and baked daily. Each is topped with chocolate ganache glaze and an exotic garnish. Think my Exotic Artisan Truffles, but in cake form! Plus, they are square... good to pack tightly into a gift box!

We will begin featuring daily flavors, but to begin with we are launching with our two signature flavor combos:

Salty Peanut Butter Toffee-Butter-crème fraîche cake+peanut butter filling+dark chocolate ganache glaze+maldon sea-salt and peanut butter praline topping.

Lavender Sea-salted Caramel- Dark chocolate-crème fraîche cake+smoky caramel filling+dark chocolate glaze+lavender-herbed grey sea-salt topping.

They are $3.5 each or a box of 9 for $27.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can vote for San Diego to be the location of the next Sprinkles ...

http://www.sprinklescupcakes.com/locations.html

Go to the bottom of the Locations page and vote!

Yum!

Melanie Lytle said...

Actually, as of this last Friday, San Diego does have its own cupcake shop - it's a called Cupcakes Squared in OB. Haven't been yet, but I never need an excuse to eat a cupcake! Yours look yummy!

Roger said...

lol vote for sprinkles to come to san diego...

anyway, these cupcakes you see in the picture are delish. Gotta love that choco ganache.

Jennywenny said...

Oh my goodness, these look amazing. I dont think we need a sprinkles with cakes like this around!

Owner, Eclipse Chocolat said...

We don't need Sprinkles! I've got ya'll covered. I plan on having four different kinds of cupcakes to start (from about 16 I'm developing) and eventually I will have a pastry case dedicated just to them. Plus, all of mine are filled:)

MelloPie said...

Please let me now when you make more lavender or peanut butter cupcakes. The salt brings them to another level.