Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sweet Potato Bread Pudding AND Burnt Caramel-Milk Chocolate Pot de Creme

Today is Saturday and within a few hours this morning I will be up and running with my new Seasonal Dessert Tasting Platter. Until then, here's a teaser:

By now you know that I am obsessed with bread pudding. I just love the stuff, but just like in the world of flan, there is a huge difference between an amazing bread pudding and a lousy one. Just because it's called bread pudding, doesn't mean that it should be made with just any old bread. No sir, not here.

We served a charming lil' ditty called Sweet Potato Bread Pudding at our last dinner, and it was do well received that I am opting to shuffle it into this next platter.

Whenever I opt to make bread pudding, I choose a bread base that is rich and dense, with lots of airy pockets to soak up as much of the custard as possible. Here I have gone with Brioche, which is no exception to this rule. Broiche, being of French decent, is of course on the far left of the fatty bread spectrum. It begins just like most normal bread bases, but somewhere along it's construction its packed with far too many egg yolks and sticks of butter for it's own good. The first time I made it I couldn't believe the dough was even able to pick up all of the extra fat content, but was pleasantly surprised to see it all come together in the end. And how! These breads are nearly a meal in themselves.

So having begun with a great bread, my pudding was complete with the addition of roasted and mashed sweet potato, Dark Muscavado sugar, and white chocolate chips. Served warmed with chilled Creme Anglaise, it seems to be the perfect compliment to brisk autumn day.

I also have a pic ready for my Burnt Caramel-Milk Chocolate Pot de Creme. Pronounced poe de creme, this creamy invention is also of French derivation. Within the world of custards, this baby is also among the heaviest of incarnations, outstripping all others expect Creme Brulee. Made from part whole milk, part cream, and all egg yolks, the finished cup of bliss is smooth and creamy especially with its accents of burnt caramel and milk chocolate.

Check it:


No comments: